Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Green Lantern Creative Shifts!

With DC's May 2013 solicits being announced last week it was also announced that Geoff Johns' nine-year run on the "Green Lantern" title would be coming to an end after May's "Green Lantern" #20. But not only is he leaving his book, Peter Tomasi, Tony Bedard, and Peter Milligan (who have been on their respective GL-books since the beginning of the "New 52" without falter) would also be leaving their books as well after May's 20th issue. So many fans were shocked and speculation began to fly as to who would be replacing Johns on "Green Lantern." Well today, DC announced to MTV Geek the creative teams for the books, as well as a new ongoing series to start in June's comics.

Here are the new creative teams (with my commentary):

GREEN LANTERN written by Robert Venditti with art by Billy Tan

I haven't ever heard of Venditti's work, but I'm willing to give a writer I've never heard of a try. I mean, that's what I did with Geoff Johns when I first started buying comics, and that turned out good. And I have seen Billy Tan's work before (plus look at that promo image) and I love it. So I'm absolutely looking forward to it.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS written by Josh Fialkov with art by Bernard Chang

I haven't read anything by either of these two, but then again I've only been getting "Corps" in trades anyway so ill give it a shot when the time comes, but I have time to read the reviews before then.

GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS written by Justin Jordan with art by Brad Walker

I wasn't a huge fan of "Team 7," which I dropped after #2, but I'm willing to see what Jordan has in store for White Lantern Kyle. As for the art, I don't believe I've read anything with him in it, but I'm gonna give it a try!

RED LANTERNS written by Josh Fialkov with art by Alessandro Vitti

As I said with "Corps," Im not familiar with either of them. But the Red Lanterns series went so far into nothingness with Milligan at the helm, that I can't imagine anyone saving it. Sorry Atrocitus and Dex-Starr, but you're not even getting another chance.

LARFLEEZE written by Keith Giffen with art by Scott Kolins

I was torn about buying Threshold and that was because of the main story. I'm not really that interested in Larfleeze having his own series. It may work, or it may be a complete flop in my book just like "Red Lanterns."

I have high hopes for the GL series and I hope the other two series do good for themselves. Ill probably still just keep getting New Guardians and Green Lantern, but I think it's a good new direction for the books. You can read interviews with the new creative teams on MTV Geek's website now.


No comments:

Post a Comment